Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Carseats

 Recently a few of my mommy friends have been discussing carseats, fit and placement which has caused me to look at Ladybug again in her carseat. 

I thought I would just do a post about how she sits and how she fits in her carseats (My car and my mom's car) and  maybe get some feedback on what carseat fits really well for when we start looking for a forward facing one.

Childs Age: 2 years 5 months

Carseat Type: Graco MyRide 65 for my car and Alpha Omega Elite 65 (AOE) for my moms car

Forward Facing or Rear Facing? Rear Facing, Rear Facing.

Favorite thing about the Carseat?
MyRide 65- My ladybug has pleanty of room to sit and grow.  Ladybug isn't chunky but she is LONG so her legs do have to bend some, but there is so much room in the seat that she has pleanty of space for her legs.

AOE- Pleanty of room for ladybug to sit in her seat and grow.  In the picture you can see how much leg room she has.  That captains seat reclines which makes it even easier to install the carseat and it gives her some extra leg room.  She loves her carseat and the armrests (even though she doesn't use the armrests.

AOE- Price.  This carseat is really affordable since it is on the low end of the cost scale. 

Most hated thing?
MyRide 65- Dang this thing is huge.  We have a midsize SUV (Chevy Traverse) and it takes up a good chunk of the seat.  We have it installed on the 60% split of the 60/40 and while I can fit all three children in the middle seat, whichever child ends up in the middle gets a bit squished.  I haven't tried it in the 40 split spot yet.  We are hoping to add another child to our hoard soon though and that tells me we may be replacing the carseat so we can fit two in the middle seat and still have access to the rear seats.

MyRide 65- Airline Travel.  I haven't tried to fit many carseats in airline seats, but this seat gave me fits when we flew with it.  The belt path is solid plastic and getting a tight fit is easy.  It is getting the seatbelt to release at the end of the flight that is almost impossible.  The plastic on the seat doesn't give enough room to lift the latch on the seatbuckle, making for a struggle.  Since the seat is so large, extending the seatbelt all the way bairly moved the buckle to the edge to let me open it, but it still took a lot of work.  Trying this by myself at the end of a long flight with a then 1.5 yr old, who was exhausted was not fun.

AOE- Installation. This thing is a pain to install.  My mom, dad, and husband all can't get a good rear facing insall on it.  I did have to use the rolled up towel trick and a lot of oomph.  Since this carseat is never removed, it isn't a big deal for us. 

Latch or seatbelt installation?  I have both seats installed with the latch system, though I have tried using the seatbelts in the past. 

Ease of Installation? 
MyRide 65- I really love this seat with the latch installation. I put it in and hook the clips, then lean on the back of the seat. This allows me to get a nice tight install with no problems.

AOE- I hate installing this seat.  It is a pain in the butt and requires using a towel or pool noodle to get a good fit.  This being said, if you aren't moving the seat a lot, ease of install really doesn't matter.

Any last thoughts? 
MyRide 65 We tried turning this seat forward facing this weekend because Ladybug has recently started throwing a fit and complaining in the car.  I have decided when we do turn forward facing, we will invest in a new carseat.  This seat rides so high that ladybug actually had less room forward facing than she did rear facing.  Her feet were almost as high as the drivers side headrest and her knees bent more than when she rear faces.

Pictures!  With Littles in the seat if possible. 

Notice Ladybugs knees in the picture on the left compared to the video. 



Alpha Omega Elite 65
MyRide 65
My Husband swears I broke the baby.  She spent the entire day after a 5 minute ride facing forward, complaining on how her carseat was broken.
 
 
So how does your little one ride?  What do you hate or love about your carseat?



No comments: