Back in June, our family went fishing. We came home with a wondrous bounty!
Exhibit A- The Bounty
Mom took two fish home, Brother took two fish home, and I got to keep 4 fish. We are talking about 30 lbs of Halibut, an awesome, super yummy white fish. Yay!! So "the bounty" was cleaned, prepped and taken home. It was placed here...
Well about the third week of July, my garage started to smell a little. Kinda like the trash can does when it hasn't been washed in a while. Since I certainly didn't have time to wash the trash can, I made the decision to move it to the shed. It could air out there and I would wash it next time I did the grass if it wasn't too full. Well, the garage still stank. Not a horrid stink, but a small one. Like one of the kids had been told to take out the trash and left it in the garage instead of putting it in the can.
Tuesday night I decided to start cleaning out the garage for our yard sale this coming weekend. I start by pulling all the random crap that is laying around out of the garage and putting it in the driveway. Then I wander towards the back of the garage. I see the freezer. Dread fills me as I wonder briefly if this is where the stench is coming from. I look down.. Nope it is still plugged in. I touch it... Not cold, but the outside seldom is... I crack the lid, and slam it shut with a few choice curse words and much retching. Tracing the cord back, I realize the freezer is plugged into this-
Which somehow has been switched off.
Making sure to keep the freezer lid tightly closed, I manhandle the thing into the driveway and stare at it forlornly. What the heck am I supposed to do with it now? Our trash day is Tuesday, and they wont take whole freezers anyway (darn them!). I am sure my HOA would throw a huge hissy fit if I just left the darn thing sitting out till J got home. I briefly considered just leaving it in the garage and moving to a hotel till J got home, but realized that wasn't financially feasable. I was going to have to tackle this beast myself.
Searching the garage I found some essential oils I had set aside for the garage sale along with some heavy duty dust masks. Combining the two I was able to make a mask that would at least cut the stench to levels that would only incapacitate me vs causing me to die immediatly. Working quickly I was able to pull all the freezer bags full of fish out and thow them in a double black bag (shows how well those darn freezer bags work, NOT!) with only minimal breaks to dry heave and try to shoo away the black flies that decided to attack. Once all the fish had been moved, I tied off the bags and moved them to the bottom of my driveway. About a quarter gallon of bleach was added to the freezer, the lid was slammed shut, and the entire mess moved to the bottom of the driveway as well. I needed to take 5.
To be Continued...





2 comments:
Oh, no!! That's awful, hon. I'm so sorry! I told Jake and we both feel for you. :( But, it's a pretty funny story...mainly because we weren't there to smell it!
Thanks. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I wasn't laughing!
Post a Comment