If you haven't read part 1 I recommend you do so now. If you have, the same warning applies to part 2.
As I stood there contemplating the fact that it is a HUGE shame I don't drink (I really could have used a drink about then), I watched in horror as the black bag holding the fish began to inflate. Apparently the rotted fish off gassed enough that it created a black heafty balloon. I briefly wished it would off gas enough to float away, but realized it would then probably land on my roof making a larger mess for me to clean up.
I decided to tackle the freezer before moving on to the fish. I went and wrangled the hose from my darling daughter who was watering my lilac's, the strawberry's, the kids toys left in the yard, and herself. She is such a sweet thing that she didn't want mama to get wet too and we had a brief discussion (read: tug-of-war) for the hose before I just picked her and the hose up. Off to spray some noxious fumes away.
I cautiously approached the freezer like one would approach an armed nuclear bomb. Gently I toed the lid open and jumped back in disgust. Apparently rotted fish water plus bleach equals noxious smoke, who knew? I turned the hose on as high as it could go and stood far to the side to spray the thing out. During the clean-up, who should appear but my darling young boys. Once they saw what I was doing they were heart-broken. In their own words, "Mom killed and destroyed" their fish. Thanks kids, twist the knife a little harder, oh yeah, that's it.
Once I finished rinsing out the freezer while holding my breath, I stood it up and closed the lid. No point in trying to kill the neighbor's too, they're nice folks. I then moved back up to the house to make sure the fans were doing their job of clearing the stench from hell out of my house and try to decide what to do with the nasty fish. Now Tuesday is our trash day. There was no way I was leaving the rotted fish anywhere in my yard till the next trash day as bears are way too prevalent in our neighborhood. I didn't want a fuzzy friend stopping by wondering whats for dinner. I decided to throw the fish in the trash can and see if I could either convince (guilt?) a friend into letting me borrow a truck to dispose of the fish or get the local trash pick-up guys to make a side trip.
By now, it was getting late, kids were getting hungry and complaining the house stank, and I was feeling defeated. I checked on my phone to see if it was done reinstalling (Separate story, headline read's "Murder Suicide; Lifeproof Case Kills IPhone Then Turns on Self") and when I saw it was, I am not too proud to admit I called my mom and bawled like a baby. She promptly came to the rescue. Together we managed to move the deep freeze up beside my house (where it still sits), poor a gallon of bleach and about 1/2 lb of baking soda in the darn thing, fill it with water, and there it sits. I handed her the baby and went to change clothes, and we went out for dinner. Much to mom's dismay I refused the Tuna Fish and we went for hot wings.
Upon our return, Mom said the house didn't stink as bad and I trusted her nose since I am going to be smelling dead fish for a year. I then decided everything else could be set aside for another day and went to put the kids to bed. I just have one question.
1. Anyone know how to get dead fish smell out of a deep freeze?

No comments:
Post a Comment