So much has happened over the past few months that I don't know where to start. So we will start here.
Presenting for your pleasure, Butterfly.
This little lady joined our happy household at 2:32 am on June 14, 2014 at 37 weeks 3 days. She came into the world a whopping 7 lbs 8 oz, and 19.5 inches long. We are all so blessed to welcome her.
Gory details part 1 for those interested...
On May 24th my loving Husband returned from his 3 month tech school in Mississippi. Yay! the ability to share some duties around the house. Such a relief. I was a bit itchy when he got home and it continued to get worse. I chalked it up to end of pregnancy and dry skin. The last weekend of May the itching was so bad on my hands and feet that I actually had scratched raw patches on the tops of my feet. I called the Doc on Monday June 2 to see if there was ANYTHING that could be done. It was miserable.
The doc I spoke with was concerned the itching might be a sign for ICP or Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy.
Briefly ICP is when pregnancy causes the mothers liver to not filter bile correctly. For the mom problems can be issues clotting, severe itching, and premature labor. For the baby, it can cause meconium ingestion, fetal distress, and still birth. Basically nasty stuff all around. One of the early signs is itching of the hands and feet due to the bile salts not being filtered by the liver. The only solution is delivery.
Back to my story, I went in on Monday June 2 to have blood drawn on my way home from work expecting to see the doc on Friday. Wednesday evening I got a call from my OB's office saying I had ICP and I needed to see the doc on Thursday asap. J and I went in on Thursday to hear Congratulations, you are having this baby next week, pick a day. While I was glad to have an end date in sight I was a bit disappointed to not have labor actually start at home and to get to try to go without the Epidural. I knew by inducing at 37 weeks labor was more than likely going to be long and forced which equals painful. J and I picked Friday the 13th as a birthday thinking not only was it Friday the 13th but it was a super moon and how cool would that be. Before I left the office I had to have a Fetal Non Stress Test or NST to make sure our Butterfly was still fluttering by. We scheduled another NST on Monday to make sure all was doing well and then left to make arrangements to have a baby.
The rest of that week and into the next week I was on orders on base due to an exercise, so I had the pleasure of trying to finish projects for my regular job via telephone and with one day in the office. It was busy. On top of that on Sunday I rolled my ankle and had to spend 4 hours in Labor and Delivery to make sure I wasn't in labor early.
Thursday evening all the kids trucked over to Grandma and Grandpa's house to stay the night. Friday morning DH and I got up at an unearthly hour of the morning, called to make sure we were still on the books, and then showered and headed out. We stopped at Starbucks for breakfast because I knew it would be the last time I got to eat until everything was over.

No comments:
Post a Comment