Tuesday, June 7, 2011

This or That

America needs to stop and take a good look at the psychological damage done to individuals by the stigma placed on breast feeding, while promoting skimpy, underfed and under dressed models.

Caution, Skimpy images ahead.

Why is it this....

and this


are more socially accepted than

This

and this



These pictures are not meant to make people uncomfortable, but to point out the inconsistencies in America's ideologies. We as a nation need to stop looking at people for only their sex status. Boobs are first and foremost a means to provide nourishment for a child. The process of this child getting nourishment should not be deemed gross, inappropriate, or sexual. Mothers should not be made to feel like 3rd class citizens for attempting to feed their child the best nutrients available.

I have heard many comments on this subject recently… Here are a few-

1. Pregnant woman comments she can only breast feed if her baby is a girl, because her boyfriend doesn’t want another guy’s mouth on her boobs.

2. I think my brains are being sucked out my boobs (indicating breast feeding makes a woman stupid)

3. Breast milk is a body fluid and hazardous, it should not be allowed in public, take care of it in the restroom

4. Breastfeeding is creepy (This in an article from a Mother & Baby)

5. Why would you want to nurse when you can just get formula

I don’t understand what the holdup is on this decision. I have breast feed all of my children, and currently feed and pump milk in front of my boys. I have nursed in public at church, while walking through the store and at dinner while at a fancy restaurant. The milk is always ready for my child, it is always the perfect temprature, and it has all the nutritional value my child will need for their entire first year of life. I Breast Feed. This is my choice, but hopefully my choice will lead them to a healthier respect for a woman’s body.

No comments: